Tankless water heaters have been around for quite a while now, but there has been a sudden increase in demand for such heaters as many people have started realizing the true beauty of these water heaters. Essentially, a tankless heater is an instantaneous water heater that produces hot water only when required. Unlike traditional water heaters, they do not store water in a tank and continuously heat the water present in the tank using a heating element.
A tankless water heater operates directly without any tank when a hot water tap is turned on; the primary water source directs the water towards a mechanical unit. This unit uses either an electric element or a gas burner to heat the water, which provides a continuous flow of hot water. So now, thanks to these tankless heaters, people no longer have to wait for the heater’s tank to fill up before taking a shower, and neither do people have to deal with the torture of running out of hot water.
They provide a continuous flow of hot water at a rate of 3-5 gallons per minute. They can easily integrate with any plumbing system and are available in a variety of models. Every homeowner has an array of options to choose from and can easily purchase a model that best suits their household’s requirements.
Advantages of Tankless Water Heaters
The following are the most profound benefits of water heaters and should be taken into perspective by every homeowner who is dealing with water heater issues.
- They can conserve 34% more energy than traditional water heaters
- These heaters provide a continuous flow of hot water no matter how big the household is
- They can avoid the unnecessary cost of stand by heating as they do not store hot water
- The cost of operating pilot lights are substantially less compared to traditional water heaters
- Can easily integrate with any existing plumbing system without the requirement of a piping overhaul
- Multiple tankless heaters can be combined with a single plumbing system
- Can easily be installed without the need for heavy machinery
- They have an average life span of 20-30 years
- Many different parts are readily available that can increase the life span of these water heaters
- Lower operational costs compared to traditional water heaters
- Ideal for compact spaces
Disadvantages of Tankless Water Heaters
Although there are many apparent advantages, there are some drawbacks that should be taken into perspective by every homeowner. These drawbacks are mentioned below,
- Price of the unit will be more expensive compared to traditional water heaters
- Amount of installation will be higher compared to conventional water heaters
- Can reduce the pressure of hot water
- One unit might not suffice for large households that burn through hot water
- Before supplying hot water, the unit will first clear the cold water from the piping system
- Maintenance costs are higher than standard water heaters
- If the unit is present at one end of the house, then another end will receive hot water after some time
- Some units are not instantaneous
- Will require the help of a professional to install and maintain
Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Purchasing A Tankless Water Heater
Purchasing a tankless water heater might be the solution to every home owner’s water heater problems, but it should not be done lightly. Since many people have just started considering purchasing a tankless heater to replace their current water heater, they often buy the first unit that they come across. This puts them at a particular disadvantage as there many different factors that should be taken into perspective when purchasing a tankless heater. Some questions you should ask yourself to ensure you choose the most effective water heater are highlighted below,
1. The size of the water heater Traditionally water heaters take a lot of space, and most piping systems are laid down according to the specifications of the water heater. If you end up purchasing a small unit, then there will be an added cost of increasing the pipelines, and if you are buying a larger unit, it might not effectively integrate with the system. First, analyze your previous heater, and take into consideration its specifications, contact a plumber for more help if required.
2. Requirement of hot water Another factor that you should take into consideration is the amount of hot water required in your household. If you have a large family and a large household, then a more powerful tankless water heater will be required. People often end up buying units that do have the capacity to bear the hot water requirement and are forced to purchase another unit to ensure that the whole house has hot water. We would recommend that you analyze how much time it takes for your current water heater to burn through the tank and then purchase a unit that can match this production rate.
3. Energy efficiency The underlining reason behind the increase in demand for tankless water heaters is the fact that they are energy efficient. But the efficiency level of each unit varies., it is recommended that before you purchase a unit, check the manufactures website. This will help you gain insight into which unit will be the most energy-efficient.
Another factor you should take into perspective before investing in a tankless heater is the annual operating costs of the unit. Since there are so many different models out there, we would recommend choosing at least three units that encompass your budget. Visit all three manufacturers’ websites to compare their annual operation costs to ensure that you choose the most cost-effective unit in the market.
For every homeowner who is tired of their traditional water heaters, consider purchasing a tankless water heater as a solution to all of their problems.
Bluefrog Plumbing + Drain of North Dallas is the best when it comes to providing plumbing related services in Richardson, TX and the adjoining areas. Its long and growing list satisfied customers, and one of the best 24/7 emergency services speak for themselves. Our professionals are highly trained to take up all the complex plumbing tasks and fulfill all of your plumbing related needs. Acquire our impeccable plumbing services for anything plumbing related in the Richardson, TX area, and you will not be disappointed.